There are a number of easy yet powerful depression self-help techniques available. These depression
self-help techniques are not meant as a replacement to professional treatment, but as a supplement
to depression treatment. Try as many of these depression self-help tips as possible and watch the
cloud of depression lift.
Depression Self-Help Techniques:
- Exercise daily. Exercise is known to boost peopleís moods. Physical activity, most specifically
aerobic exercise, alters brain chemistry, releases endorphins that make us feel good and and leads
to feelings of wellbeing. A number of research studies show that regular exercise can be as
effective as other medication treatments in relieving mild to moderate depression.
- Add Omega-3 fatty acids to your diet with fish oil, flaxseed oil or other food sources high in
essential fatty acids. Research continues to confirm the importance of omega-3 fats for treating
depression. Not only can Omega-3 fatty acids boost your mood, it can also increase focus and
concentrate and increase energy levels. Additionally, Omega-3 fatty acids are also shown to helps
prevent and fight heart disease, cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, hyperactivity and
- Supplement the diet with natural depression formulas. The brain is a hungry organ that will not
function well without the proper fuels. To keep the brain functioning at top performance, find a
depression-specific formula designed to feed the brain.
- Avoid refined sugars and carbohydrates and add fresh vegetables and protein to your diet. Sugars,
starches and caffeine may make you feel good initially but will only make you feel worse when the
rebound crash sets in.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep, maintain a regular sleep pattern and try to follow your circadian
rhythm of sleeping shortly after sunset and waking up at sunrise.
- Get at least 15 minutes of sunshine daily. Lack of sunshine can cause depression. Conversely,
adding a daily dose of sunshine can lift depressive moods.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of alcohol and drugs. Alcohol and drugs may make you feel better for a
few hours, but actually makes depression worse in the long run.
- Pray or meditate. Refining your spiritual side is as old as the mountains yet one of the most
powerful and easy method to break through depression.
- Seek emotional support from friends and family, even if you want to hide away in your "cave." If
youíve have a major upset, tell someone close to you, and tell them how you feel.
- Avoid people who make you feel worse. You already feel bad. Don't make it worse by spending time
with acrid or non-supportive people.
- Join a depression support group. If you cannot express your true feelings in person or cannot find
a depression support group in your area, look for online communities and forums.
- Put off making long-term commitments or important decisions, if possible, until you reach a better
state of mind.
- Look for the positives in life, even if you have to dig deep. Studies show that negative thinkers
are more susceptible to depression, stay in a state of depression longer and are more likely to
become depressed again.
- Practice forgiveness. We are all human and we all make mistakes. Don't carry yours or anyone
elseís mistakes. And while you are at it, do not assume responsibility for actions outside of your
- Get out of bed every morning and do something - anything. Studies consistently show that activity
decreases and wards off depression. Go for a walk. Meet with a friend for lunch. Read a book. It
doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do something that you enjoy.
- Help another person or volunteer for a good cause. Helping others is an incredibly powerful
depression self-help technique.
- And finally, take responsibility for your recovery. No one has the power to lift the depression
but you. Itís up to you to make lifestyle changes, exercise, get out of bed in the morning...
- Name: Jeannine Virtue
- Date: 12/07/06 at 17:04
- Email: email@example.com
- Rem Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
- Rem IP: 188.8.131.52