IFA offers four separate Master Instructor programs, Master Fitness Instructor, Master Sports Nutritionist, Master Senior Fitness Instructor and our newest Master Aqua Fitness Instructor. The IFA standard certifications are prerequisites for these advanced level certifications. An essay is required to be submitted according to the requirements below. Your essay will be automatically delivered to a the appointed Fellow of the International Fitness Association (FIFA). The Fellows are academics appointed by IFA. The cost for either advanced certification is $400 and payable prior to essay submittal. The fee is non-refundable. If your essay is rejected, you will be advised on the areas that need further attention. Your revised essay will be resubmitted to the same FIFA.
- Broadness and depth of current knowledge,
- Ability to think critically through the knowledge,
- Ability to present an argument well-supported by research data,
- Currently certified IFA Instructor.
- Master Fitness Instructor requires prior certification as an IFA Aerobics Instructor and Personal Trainer.
- Master Sports Nutritionist requires prior certification as an IFA Sports Nutritionist.
- Master Senior Fitness Instructor requires prior certification as an IFA Senior Fitness Instructor.
- Master Aqua Fitness Instructor requires prior certification as an IFA Aqua Fitness Instructor.
- Essay submittal according to the guidelines enumerated below for the appropriate Master certification.
- Payment is required prior to essay submittal here.
- Essay submittal to the appointed Fellow of IFA (FIFA) using the form located here.
- You will be notified by email of the results of your essay submittal. You may expect about a month for results.
An essay of between 6000 to 6500 words is required for either advanced certification.
The word limits excludes cover page, title, headings, figure captions, figure legends, figure descriptions, footnotes, endnotes and bibliographies. However, this will also mean that they may not be read.
The following are the mandatory requirements that all essays must fulfill. Failure to meet any of these requirements may mean failure of the essay. The requirements are as follows:
- The essay submitted must be within the word limit of the essay appropriate for the certification, as stated above.
- The essay submittal form must be completely filled in.
- The essay should be written in standard English as used in academic writings and therefore expected to be structured appropriately.
- All external works, references and assistance used should be cited in the bibliography section at the end of the essay and not as footnotes.
- The bibliography section and the citation styles used through the essay, should be stated at the beginning of the bibliography section.
- The essay should demonstrate a considerable width and depth of subject knowledge.
- The essay should demonstrate critical thinking and reasoning skills, and the ability to present a viewpoint or argument that is well supported by peer-reviewed research data. For example, information obtained from websites or media publications (except to illustrate an existing case or scenario) is not accepted as peer-reviewed research data.
- If an essay is rejected, the potential candidate will be advised of the revisions necessary.
- If an essay is rejected, the potential candidate may resubmit not more than three times within a one year period.
Guidelines for Essay Topics:
While there is not hard and fast rules pertaining to the choice of essay topics, the topic chosen should have enough width for a critical discussion and with sufficient information to sustain the length of the required essay. However, the topic should not be too broad that in depth discussion and analysis is not likely. For example, an essay surveying the different types of weight training methodologies is likely to result in a shallow and wide discussion, which is not a suitable topic as it will usually fail to demonstrate critical thinking and reasoning. On the other hand, an essay comparing two or three training methodologies will be better suited.
IFA Senior Fellows:
Below is a list of the currently appointed Fellows of IFA (FIFA).
Maurice HT Ling
PhD, BSc(Hons) (Mol Cell Biol), BSc (Comp)
Lecturer, School of Chemical and Life Sciences, Singapore Polytechnic, Singapore
Co-Editor-in-Chief, The Python Papers Anthology
Honorary Fellow, Department of Zoology, The University of Melbourne, Australia
Fellow of the International Fitness Association
Member, Association of Computing Machinery
IFA Fellowship Nomination:
To nominate an individual for Fellowship, please download the Nomination Form by right clicking and choosing "Save Target As". The individual must hold a minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in either the health or fitness industry and be an academic. Specific criteria are detailed in the nomination form.